Infocourse: Teaching Focused Careers in Higher Education Spring 2014
Info Course: Teaching Focused Careers in Higher Education
(NOTE: THIS IS A NON-CREDIT BEARING COURSE)
Do you enjoy teaching and mentoring? Have you ever thought about pursuing a teaching focused career, but aren’t sure about your options? For this info course, we have invited a number of scientists who have chosen to pursue teaching focused careers in higher education. They are employed at a diverse group of institutions in the greater Boston area including community colleges, small liberal arts colleges, small state universities, R1 universities, and online learning institutions. During the panel discussion the panelists will talk about their career paths and the benefits and challenges of their positions. They will also describe the recommendations and requirements for other people who wish to pursue similar careers and take questions from the audience. After the panel, registered students will join the panelists for lunch to discuss their unique careers in more detail.
Nanocourse Director: Dr. Davie Van Vactor
- Dr. Anupama Seshan, Assistant Professor of Biology, Emmanuel College.
- Randall Foote, Professor of Political Science and History, Roxbury Community College.
- Dr. Laurie McCorry, Dean of Science, Engineering, and Health Professions, Bunker Hill Community College.
- Dr. Tom Torello, Assistant Director of Undergraduate Studies, Harvard University.
- Dr. Ethan Graf, Assistant Professor of Biology, Amherst College.
- Dr. Mary Ellen Wiltrout, Curriculum Development Specialist for Biology, MITx.
- Dr. Amanda Simons, Assistant Professor of Biology, Framingham State University.
Session Dates and Times
Panel Discussion: Wednesday, May 21st, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm.
Location: Building C, Cannon Room.
Lunch with Panelists: Wednesday, May 21st, 12:15 pm – 1:30 pm.
Location: TMEC Building, Rm 447.
**The panel discussion is open to everyone, you do not need to register to attend this portion of the course. Students must register to attend the lunch. Postdoctoral Fellows are welcome to register for lunch.**
Please contact Emily or Jenn if you have any questions about this course.
Lunch Signup Deadline: Wednesday, May 7th by 5pm